A newly built bus rapid transit (BRT) system and ZU Bicycle in the city of flowers Peshawar, is transforming the lives of citizens. The 27 kilometres long and with 30 stops, BRT Peshawar connects the east end of the city with the west end.
Peshawar is the capital of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and is the 6th largest city of Pakistan. It is a centre of trade and commerce and is very close to the Afghanistan border. A city with a population of more than 2 million badly required a mass transit system that fulfils the need for transport for the citizens. In this regard, KPK Government launched a Peshawar BRT system along with ZU Bicycle. This project is now running successfully and serving the people.
ZU means “Let’s Go” so ZU Peshawar means “Let’s Go Peshawar”. ZU Peshawar BRT system is 27 kilometres long project that include 30 main stops. The BRT is accessible from the densely populated areas of Peshawar via 150 stops that are located across a network of 83 km feeder routes.
Since all the buses used in this project are electric-hybrid buses that run on dedicated lanes to reduce traffic problems. Meanwhile, the BRT busses offer priority seats for the elderly, women and disabled people.
Facilities in ZU Peshawar BRT
The BRT Peshawar project is universally accessible by every type of people. Either it is the elderly, women or disabled, the BRT project is 100% step-free that make it unique among the other projects.
- Bus stations of BRT and the busses offer you free Wi-fi service.
- It is less expensive than the other running public transport projects.
- This project has given quality street lights, an excellent drainage system and a dedicated lane for cyclists.
- ZU bicycle sharing system for the people using BRT.
What is ZU Bicycle?
KPK’s Government is far ahead in adopting new technologies. Particularly, the new technology that they have introduced is the ZU Bicycle. ZU Bicycle is a bicycle sharing system that is a core part of BRT Peshawar. This initiative is carried out by keeping in view the ease of transport for the BRT users, particularly students.
ZU Bicycle Registration Process
To get benefits by using ZU bicycle, you must follow the registration process of ZU bicycle. Here are the points that you have to follow in order to get the perks of the ZU bicycle.
- For the registration of ZU bicycle, one must have the ZU card and ZU membership.
- To get membership, you will go to the ticket office at the BRT station.
- After entering your details, you can get a membership according to your need i.e one day, two weeks or one month.
- At the time of registration, one must pay 3,000 rupees (refundable) as a security.
- Further, you must carry your ZU card or installed ZU mobile application on your cellphone along with the CNIC.
Use of ZU Bicycle
The use of ZU Bicycle is very easy. Follow the below-given steps to use the ZU Bicycle.
ZU Card Method
- Tap your ZU card on the cycle dock screen to open the cycle lock. Now the cycle is unlocked and ready to use.
- To return the cycle, park the cycle on the cycle dock in the right position.
- Then tap your ZU card on the dock screen and the cycle will be locked. Payment will be deducted according to your use.
ZU App Method
- Open the ZU app on your cellphone.
- Tap on the bicycle menu and then on the QR code.
- Scan the QR code on the cycle dock and the bicycle will be unlocked.
- While returning, just park the cycle in the right position and it will be locked.
- The charges will be deducted from your ZU account.
Features of ZU Bicycle
The features of ZU Bicycle that make it unique are:
- It is carefully designed by keeping in view the comfort zone of women, as it has no traditional top tube. This helps women to ride it with comfort.
- There’s no chain in it, so the clothes won’t stick in the chain.
- The tires of the ZU bicycle are tubeless. Hence it will not puncture.
- Seat adjustment according to the rider’s desire.
- A basket at front to put your bag or other accessories.
- Furthermore, the ZU Bicycles have the facility of headlight and wire lock too.
Moreover, the ZU bicycle should be returned within 72 hours. After that, the cycle will be considered stolen and strict action will be taken against the member according to the law.